Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 21, 2014

November and December Highlights

 

Andrea and I finally made it down to La Dolce Vita Italian restaurant at the Souqs.

20141109_110048

 

This city has some of the nicest bathrooms.

20141109_121321

 

Bikes Over Baghdad paid us a visit.

20141114_203547

 

The base sponsored a “Paint and Sip” event.  I decided to paint a lake scene with a dock and loons for Larson.

Paint and Sip 21 Nov 14

 

Thanksgiving was like any other day here, but this was in one of the Dining Facilities.

20141127_201224

 

And here I am with my Thanksgiving dinner.

20141127_203918

 

We had mandatory fun at a restaurant about an hour away from the base.  We waited forever for a table, got rained on and got back to base at 1158pm….2 minutes before curfew.

20141128_191629

 

But there was some interesting artwork.

20141128_193936

 

And the Red Velvet Bakery piqued my interest.

20141128_224004

 

20141128_224158

 

I decorated my room with garland my sis sent to me.

20141127_230441

 

And my friend Dave sent me the tree he used while in Kwaj…it’s an inflatable, happy tree!

20141215_212816

 

Check out my door!

20141206_084552

 

Here I am amidst some mist.  It’s the only weather I’ve seen here other than a few rain drops weeks ago.

20141213_084852

 

I ran the Super Hero 5K to raise awareness for preventing sexual assault.  Of course, I dressed up.

20141213_185423

 

My squadron had it’s Holiday Party.  The theme was Hollywood Holiday, dress as your favorite character from a holiday movie or come Red Carpet Ready. 

20141215_194412

 

20141215_182527

 

The next day I enjoyed a beach day.   The Qatari equivalent of the SECDEF throws a party at his beach house for us and I got a chance to go.  Our buses had a police escort  to get through traffic.  Everything was provided for us.  It’s the most fun I’ve had since I’ve been here.  The best part was zipping around on a jet ski.

20141216_133047

 

20141216_145225

 

20141216_154954

 

I rode a camel.

20141221_150229

 

20141221_150121

 

20141221_150329

 

I drove an ATV.

20141216_153745

 

The locker rooms were nice.

20141216_180437

 

We thought we’d take a picture next to the giant lion.

20141216_172359

 

Dinner was held in a fancy tent.  They served chicken, lamb and camel….which I actually tried.  It tasted like beef to me.

20141216_174656

 

El Jaish, the local soccer club, invites us to their games.  I finally made it to one on Friday night.  I had a lot of fun.  They gave us free shirts, scarves (I’m wearing mine in the picture), food and drink.  Oh, and police escorts.  Seems to be a thing for us here.

IMG_0704

 

This is actually a hand ball stadium behind me, or so I’ve been told.

IMG_0709

 

That’s it for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment